Housing Assistance and Adaptations Surveyor
|Salary:||£34,728 – £37,890|
|Job Type:||Full Time, Permanent|
|Category:||City Council (External Vacancy)|
Directorate: Housing, Development and Growth
Section: Private Sector Housing
Grade: Level 11
Hours: 37 hours
This advert is open to both Internal and External applicants.
An exciting opportunity has arisen within Stoke on Trent City Council’s Private Sector Housing Team, for a Housing Assistance and Adaptations Surveyor.
In our Stronger Together Strategic Plan 2020-2024, we set out our strategic vision and priorities for Stoke-on-Trent City Council and the wider city. Stronger Together has been shaped by the political ambition of the City Council’s leadership, as well as the values and aims of the organisation. In this role you will be helping the most vulnerable residents of the city and allowing them to live as safe and independently as possible.
You will join a committed, hard-working team in a challenging and rewarding role, offering a sense of achievement in helping to deliver a service for the residents of Stoke on Trent.
The Housing Assistance and Adaptations Team require a Surveyor to provide an efficient and effective technical and cost assessment service for disabled facilities grants, disabled adaptations to council properties and other financial packages, as detailed in relevant polices, such as the Housing Renewal Assistance Policy and the Major Adaptations Policy.
The role will be to provide property surveys, designs, prepare detailed drawings showing existing and proposed layouts, specification of works, cost assessment and site inspection including Tender and Contract documentation. Typical works include Level Access Shower rooms, ramping and extensions.
You will be required to ensure that specifications of work are in accordance with Building Regulations and other appropriate legislation and that all works are completed to a satisfactory standard.
You will also have vast experience of project managing building
contractors and of liaising and negotiating with a range of clients and professionals in
a problem-solving capacity. Numeracy, statistical, communication and presentation
skills are essential and experience with technical drawing design packages is also required.
- To provide an efficient and effective technical and cost assessment service for disabled facilities grants, disabled adaptations to council properties and other financial packages, as detailed in relevant polices, such as the Housing Renewal Assistance Policy and the Major Adaptations Policy
- To assist in the delivery of the housing grants, adaptations and loans service and the Council’s Agency Service by undertaking property surveys, specification of works, cost assessment and site inspection, including tender and contract documentation.
- To ensure that specifications of work are in accordance with Building Regulations and other appropriate legislation and that all work is completed to a satisfactory standard
Key Duties / Responsibilities
- To prepare detailed scaled technical drawings showing existing and proposed layouts and specifications/schedules of necessary works to meet the City Council and individual needs, particularly in relation to disabled adaptations.
- To assist and ensure that necessary permissions have been obtained such as Building Regulations, Planning, Severn Trent Water Authority and ensure that requirements in relation to planning supervision, asbestos regulation and other health and safety matters are discharged on behalf of the City Council in respect of the works undertaken.
- To be fully aware of and conversant with all relevant legislation, procedures and City Council Policies, with regard to housing grants, adaptations and loans.
- To keep up to date with professional, technical and legislative developments in housing construction and management, Building Regulations and Planning administration and other relevant areas, and to relate this to other technical staff in the team.
- To be responsible for the guidance, advice and training of other staff with particular regard to technical aspects of the service. Participate in all aspects of training and personal development, using all learning opportunities to develop personal skills necessary to improve effectiveness, efficiency and delivery of service in line with corporate, departmental and divisional Business Plan and service priorities.
- To keep up to date with any modernisation, improvement and on-going maintenance schemes within the city.
Please note that if an employee who is currently at risk of redundancy within the organisation applies for this vacancy their application will receive priority. If this happens you will be advised accordingly.
Please create / log into your account and then click 'apply'. If you have any queries or want an application form in another format, please email email@example.com or call us on 01782 234343.
In order to apply for this vacancy, you must be able to supply the required answers to the following questions:
- Do you have the Right to Work in the UK?